How Long do Dishwashers Last?July 26, 2023 2023-07-26 13:14
How Long do Dishwashers Last?
How Long do Dishwashers Last?
Thanks to dishwashers, the time you used to spend gazing unenthusiastically at the towering pile of dishes in your sink can be used far more productively and enjoyably. Even so, while the dishwasher is a modern marvel, it does require maintenance and upkeep to keep functioning properly over time. Follow our guide to explore the best strategies for caring for your dishwasher and how to recognize when it’s time to start searching for a replacement.
How Long Should a Dishwasher Last?
Most standard dishwashers generally last 10 year when they’re well cared for and properly maintained. Even so, it’s a good practice to replace your dishwasher closer to 8 years to avoid piling on costly repairs at the end of its lifespan. Additionally, as maintenance instructions and lifespans vary between brands and models, you should check with your dishwasher’s manufacturer regarding the lifespan of their products and best care practices.
How to Make Your Dishwasher Last Longer?
There are also a number of elements relating to consumer practices that influence a dishwasher’s lifespan. Luckily, you don’t have to be a dishwasher technician to keep your dishwasher running smoothly. Here are a few easy steps you can take to extend your dishwasher’s lifespan:
- The frequency with which the dishwasher is run is a major contributor to your dishwasher’s life cycle. On average, a dishwasher that’s run once a week will last far longer than a dishwasher that’s run once or even twice daily.
- Leave your dishwasher door at least slightly open after each cycle to let in air and prevent mold from building up.
- If mildew does form, you can get rid of it by running dishwasher cleaner on an empty cycle – something you should be doing every so often in any case. You can also search the web for homemade mildew remedies, which typically include some combination of easily available ingredients like baking soda or bleach.
- Similarly, occasionally washing your empty dishwasher with citric acid – also available at many supermarkets – will keep your dishwasher sparkly clean.
- Just as it’s important to frequently clean your bathroom drain, it’s crucial to clear out your dishwasher drain often to avoid associated clogging problems.
- Finally, when you do choose a dishwasher brand, consult an expert to discover which brand’s build and functionality best suits your family’s needs.
When to Replace Your Dishwasher?
- Your machine is experiencing major water problems. Issues like water leaking out of your machine, rust building on interior washer parts, or pools of water remaining after your load is done are clear indicators that your dishwasher may have outlived its usefulness.
- It’s no longer getting the job done. Dishwashers have a very specific role – getting your dishes clean. If dishes are coming out of the wash dirty, or if the dishes aren’t hot right after the wash cycle is over, your dishwasher may no longer be able to fulfill its function.
- Your dishwasher is falling apart. If cracks are appearing along the outside of your dishwasher, or if your machine is making strange, loud noises, it’s time to start shopping for your next one.
- The machine you own isn’t energy efficient. Older dishwashers weren’t built with water or energy conservation in mind. You can reduce your carbon footprint and save money on electricity by opting for a newer model.
Some of these issues can have an easy fix. For instance, rust may just be a sign that you need to run a cycle without dishes and with the above-mentioned remedies. Moreover, a dishwasher expert may be able to cheaply replace a broken dishwasher latch to prevent leaks. However, dishwasher repairs can be costly, and we’ve found that it’s often more worthwhile to invest in a new machine when one or more of the above problems crop up.
Which Brands of Dishwashers Are Most Reliable?
Getting a dishwasher from a trusted brand will save you money overall, since the machine will most likely last longer and have less costly repairs. Don’t be fooled into buying generic to save a bit of money at the start. At American Freight we offer Dishwashers from the top brands including Kenmore, GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Samsung, LG, Amana and more, all on sale at great discount prices.